St Anne's is closed today 1st March 2018 due to adverse weather.
It is inevitable that such a decision will please many people and upset others. It is never an easy decision to make. I thought I would briefly explain the reasoning for the decision.
- Snow was beginning to settle on site and the neighbouring roads at 06:30, 1 and half hours before the Met Office's yellow warning came into force.
- The amber warning from midday means that the weather is predicted to worsen rather than improve. This meant that although pupils and staff may just be able to get into school, we are also responsible for ensuring they are safe getting home again too. The evidence suggested this was not guaranteed.
- We had heard of some bus companies stopping services. Although not all, this suggested that if similar risk assessments were completed by other companies they too would be closing, making it less safe for pupils to get home later.
Of course, this could be the wrong decision. The snow might stop and it all be gone by early afternoon. Deciding to close a school is always a bit of a gamble, but gambling on the safety of pupils is not one we take.
Enjoy the snow. For some of our girls this is the first time they have seen it. What an educational experience that will be!
"The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision." Maimonides